Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Raisin in the Sun

A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry is a play that it set on the south side of Chicago, post World War II.  The title is based off the Langston Hughes poem "A Dream Deferred".


What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?

Reading this play brought me back to high school drama class, sitting next to Fundiswa Zwane and talking about who we wanted to kiss, what God was doing in our lives, and theatre in the round.  

I starting staging this play while I was reading it. SO GOOD! So much conflict and symbolism. My brain is tired from reading it, so instead of me explaining it, just read it too so we can sit next to each other and instead of discussing it, sip coffee in content silence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment