Saturday, May 5, 2012

Insurgent

Happy Cinco de Mayo! I hope you celebrated with delicious Mexican food. I had fritos with greek yogurt and salsa for lunch, so I filled my Mexican food quota for the day.

Today was extremely eventful and I feel hungover from all the excitement. A run in Central Park this morning, and copious amounts of coffee. My dad and I had some free time this afternoon, so we decided to take a bus to find a cool Starbucks. I am slightly obsessed with my handy dandy iPhone, and when we realized there were many Starbucks in the area we were like "Hey! Let's go to 10!" so we drank 3 cups of coffee, two cups of water, and one Izze. I think I wrote a book in my head while we were walking, and daydreamed about being in Hunger Games (partially because I was wearing my mom's Katniss boots).

My birthday is just over a week away and since I won't be with my parents or my brothers family on my birthday, we went out for a delicious early birthday meal at Chez Lucienne, a great French restaurant in Harlem. They have sexy Cobb salads and delicious chocolate mousse.

"But wait!",you say, "What about the book?!?" I broke down yesterday and bought Insurgent, the sequel to Divergent by Veronica Roth, which came out on May 1st. It was really good! If you haven't read Divergent, I won't ruin the surprise, but you need to find the nearest 24 hr store and purchase it. If you are self conscious about buying YA fiction, bribe a 13 year old girl with a Justin Bieber poster.

Divergent is dystopian fiction, and similar to Hunger Games in that it has a female lead character, and factions similar to districts. These factions are based on the qualities or "virtues" of the eople in the factions, truth, knowledge, courage, etc.

Tris (the main character) chooses a different faction than she was born into, and during aptitude tests, scores high in more than one faction. Anyway, then she meets a boy and they change the world in a dangerous, interesting, YA fiction way. Insurgent continues the story and ends with a horrible cliffhanger, with my curiosity only to be satisfied in a year when the third book of the trilogy comes out. But bravo, Veronica Roth, and I would like to be your friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment