Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mother Night and The View from Saturday

Since I did not write a post yesterday (but don't worry-- I did read a book!) I just decided to write one post for the past two days instead of trying to remember what happened on what day.

Today I am jet lagged. There was no time change from where I have been and where I am now, but thinking that yesterday I was at The Empire State Building and today I am doing laundry fills me with a sense of loss and makes me tired. But I will slowly become accustomed to the time here, and remember what I love about it.

Yesterday I read Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut. Kurt Vonnegut is like lemonade-- you always forget how much you love it until you experience it again. I never say "man I really want some lemonade!" but when it is given to me at a summer picnic, I remember how good it is. Same with Vonnegut.

He is blessedly satirical in a morose way. I need to read more of his work.

Today I went to the library and chose 6 books for the upcoming week. I love the library. I love touching books, watching fellow auto-didacts soak in knowledge, and knowing that the books I pick with influence my life in some way (some in very small ways).

The View From Saturday by E. L Konigsburg is a success. If you've seen Slumdog Millionaire, it does the same sort of "flash back to how the contestants knew the answer" thing, but its so beautiful. I want to be one of The Soul and have tea every Saturday at 4pm.

But for now, I will go to sleep on Tuesday at 1030.

No comments:

Post a Comment