Friday, May 4, 2012

Little Princes

Little Princes by Conor Grennan is one of the best books I have read in awhile. I think I cried at least 5 times in this book, and laughed countless others.

When Conor is describing the other volunteering efforts he could have been a part of-- helping baby koalas stricken (STRICKEN!) with lonliness, I almost fell over. But then, it kinda made me sad. How many people care more about helping animals than people? Sure, we have commercials about saving puppies (thank you, Sara Mclachlan for ruining my day) but the first most people hear of child trafficking may be this book. So read it, buy it for your friends, and talk about it all the time. Thankfully, the majority of children in this book were not sold into sex trafficking, but any sort of trafficking or ownership of another person is horrible.

I have a five year old nephew who today, while I was in a bookstore, came looking for me with my dad (unbeknownst to me) and as I am coming down the escalator I hear the cutest exclamation of "there she is!" I am grateful for the chance he has to grow up with family who love him, and I pray he never has to experience anything like the children in the book do, or take what he has for granted.

Anyway, back to the book. Conor's story is perfect. If in 10 years it comes out that this is all fiction, I will want to punch him in the neck because I will feel completely betrayed- but I am trusting that it is true. Such a fluid journey filled with heartbreak, faith, friendship, and conflict. This should be made into a movie. Tell everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment