Saturday, August 11, 2012

Maus I and II

I'm not typically one to read graphic novels, but I really wanted to branch out into different genres during this challenge and I had only heard good things about Maus so I decided to try them out, and I am very glad I did. There is so much depth to these books and the graphics only add to the story. I think so often I forget that we as humans are visual beings, and think that the only way to glean "serious" knowledge from a book is by reading words, and not by absorbing image. I can be pretty "judgy" sometimes, and I definitely pay for it by not experiencing all that I could.

I urge you to read this book. Not only is the metaphor phenomenal, but its a true story about an Auschwitz survivor and his tumultuous relationship with his son (who is the author). Here's a glimpse of what it's like:



No comments:

Post a Comment