Saturday, June 2, 2012

Farmer Boy

My family was known for having the best Halloween parties. We had pinatas, did cake walks, had prizes for best costume, and the list goes on.  I was quite an imaginative child when it came to my Halloween costumes: The Three Tenors (I was Pavarotti), an envelope (addressed to my favorite teacher), and Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Needless to say, I didn't usually win best costume because nobody really knew what I was.

Reading this book (by Laura Ingalls Wilder) took me back to the time when I was obsessed with Laura Ingalls Wilder. Little House on the Prairie was fun, wholesome, and they always ate good food. Oh. My. Goodness. Do NOT read this book when you are hungry. They describe each dinner and feast in perfect detail. While they are feasting on honeyed ham, apples 'n onions, homemade bread and canned green beans from mama's garden, I start thinking about the leftovers I had for lunch and am ashamed. I have an oven! A grocery store across the street! Electricity! And I never make feasts like that. This week, I will cook at least one (or two things from scratch).

But this is a wonderful book in a great series. Tell your kids to read it. Read it yourself. It will make you want to cook and buy cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment